The goal of Win3mu is to provide an easy way to play 16-bit Windows 3 games on modern versions of Windows - especially 64-bit Windows which doesn't support 16-bit at all.
Compared to Other Solutions
Existing solutions like DosBox and virtual machines are great but Win3mu offers a couple of unique advantages:
- No need to install an old version of Windows
- No messing around with display and audio drivers
- Programs aren't constrained to the desktop of a virtual machine and integrate seamlessly with your main Windows desktop. The task bar, task manager and Alt+Tabbing all work as you'd expect.
- Seamless mouse control - no capturing/releasing the mouse and natural cursor movement - have you ever noticed the mouse doesn't move quite right in some 16-bit emulations?
- Unlike most virtual machine software win3mu is designed specifically for 16-bit programs.
The downside is that many programs don't run correctly yet.
The challenge here is the magnitude of the Windows API - over 1,100 methods, hundreds of messages and lots of little quirks and odd behaviours.
And that's not to mention bugs in the 16-bit programs themselves - all of which need to be handled.
Still, support for more games will only improve over time.