Frequenty Asked Questions
- Will it be free?
- Not sure yet - probably not but it certainly won't be expensive. Many hours and many late nights have been put into this project so it'd be nice to get a little return on that effort.
- Will it run "insert name of game here"?
- Possibly, possibly not. There's no way to know if a program will work until it's tested. Ping me on Twitter to suggest a game.
- Will it run Castle of the Wind?
- More people have asked about this game than any other so this game will definitely work.
- Can I download it now?
- Not yet - it's simply too soon. To release it now would probably lead to disappointment and a considerable support burden. That's time better spent on development.
- How does it work?
- Check out this series of articles.
- TL;DR - How does it work?
- Win3mu is a high-level emulator. It emulates an 80286 processor and maps any calls the program makes to the Windows API on the equivalent functions in the modern Windows API (and vice versa).
- Will it run on OS X and/or Linux?
- No. Win3mu relies on Windows as the underlying operating system.
- Is it open source, can I contribute?
- Thanks, but no thanks. This project was started as a personal challenge/learning exercise. To have others contribute would defeat the purpose right now.
- But I really need it now/can I help test it?
- People on the mailing list will be given the first opportunity to try it. If you're keen make sure you're registered.
Other questions? Ping me on Twitter